Friday, October 21, 2011

"30 Americans" at the Corcoran Gallery

Kehinde Wiley, "Sleep", 2008. Oil on canvas, 132 x 300 inches.
Courtesy of Rubell Family Collection, Miami.

It seems to me that fewer and fewer exhibitions have a profound effect on me -- I am not sure if that is a reflection on the quality of the exhibitions, or if my standards have changed over time. I really wish that I left more museums with that feeling of euphoria. It reminds me of knowing a secret, or discovering something new about yourself or society. I usually end up leaving feeling either neutral or disappointed. Maybe it takes more to "wow" me these days, which I hope is the case instead of lackluster exhibitions.

With 30 Americans" at the Corcoran, though, I was definitely "wowed". I can't stop thinking about the pieces in the exhibition, and I also can't stop raving about it. I have already highly recommended the exhibit to several AMUS students, and I only saw the show a few days ago!

Although entitled "30 Americans", the exhibit actually features 31 aritsts, which leads me to believe that there was a last-minute addition to the show...otherwise I can't think of why you would intentionally miscount the arists...plus, I haven't gotten a straight answer from the Corcoran staff in regards to the title. It is intentional to call them American artists, and not African-American artists. I think that this choice resonates with the works and themes presented. Racial, sexual, and historical identies are just a few of the themes explored through over 70 pieces. The mediums represented are as diverse as the artists: painting, sculpture, drawings, photographs, and videos are all exhibited.  

Xaviera Simmons, "One Day and Back Then (Standing)", 2007.
Color Photograph, 30 x 40 inches. Courtesy of Rubell Family Collection, Miami

One way that I gauge an exhibition is by how many "favorite" works you can pick out. While at the Corcoran for my internship on Wednesday, my supervisor Tiffany let me go take a look at the exhibition. When I got back, she wanted to hear which piece was my "favorite". I honestly couldn't pick just one -- there were too many pieces that were moving, interesting, or emotionally charged. The range of artists, styles, and themes makes the show incredibly interesting -- each gallery was almost a mini-exhibit in itself.

There were even a few "extras" that made the visitor experience even more interesting. The gallery is distributing postcards that read, "Say it loud, I'm ___ and I'm proud!" along with the exhibition title. I think that this is a gerat marketing tool -- you get a "souvenir" from the exhibition, but you can also send the postcard to friends, thereby encouraging them to visit as well. It also helps visitors create a connection by allowing you to fill in "what" you are.
They also have slips of paper that read, "Say it Loud: What is your reaction to 30 Americans at the Corcoran?" There is a table and chairs set up with writing utensils where visitors can reflect and share their opinions. Alongside the exterior of one of the last galleries, the wall is covered in black paper and is used as a bulletin board where you can post your reactions.

Although I am hesitant to ever "love" an exhibition, this one definitely came close. I am thrilled that the Corcoran is presenting an exhibition with this kind of depth, and I think that they did a phenomenal job. But...if I had to raise one issue, it would be that the entire exhibition comes from the Rubell Family Foundation. Drawing from one foundation is a tricky business, and there is always a risk that the exhibition is more than strictly mutually beneficial. In the Rubell's case, they rarely sell portions of their collection, so the chance that the exhibition is purely an economical ploy seems minimal. However, is the Corcoran setting a standard for future exhibitions?

1 comment:

  1. Your blog pushed me to find some reviews of the exhibition (which I have not yet seen). This exhibitions sounds so familiar. Why? Because I work at the Women's Museum where we give shelter and promote women artists, even if the premise of an exhibition feels a bit thin from time to time. I am not sure what holds this exhibition together (other than that all the works come from one collection) but, still, who else in town would show the richness that defines contemporary African-American art. What's the deal with the title that neither defines nor accurately portrays the actual content of the exhibition. These are African-American artists and...there are 31.

    ReplyDelete